Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I like government because ... I know the Civil War is over

I'm not still smarting over Sherman's march to the sea, maybe that's another reason I don't see the federal government in such a negative light.  I think the Civil War is over.  Of course, I don't see the end of slavery or the disappearance of white only water fountains as a big negative either. I actually thought it was a good thing that the Supreme Court under Earl Warren struck down segregation.  I also thought it was good that the Warren Court took initiative period ... I know it's not fashionable, but I like the idea of an activist Court.  The Warren Court struck a blow against institutionalized racism that would not have been struck for some time if it hadn't intervened.  I like that.  I like the idea of an activist court and an activist government.  That might be because my Constitution of choice is the one written by guys like Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, rather than the one written by Jefferson Davis.  I like the Constitution that was created to strengthen the federal government allowing it to act more effectively in the interests of all Americans, rather than the Constitution that was written to strengthen states' rights and ultimately weaken the grip of the northern controlled federal government.  I'm not a big fan of empowering an angry and change averse minority.  I don't have a confederate flag either.  So, maybe that's why I'm OK with keeping the Department of Education.  It doesn't bother me if my children learn about evolution or the Civil War, from beginning to ... end.

No comments:

Post a Comment