Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I like government because ... I'm not rich


I like government.  I do like it to be effective, but I don’t worry about how big it is.  Maybe that’s because I’m not rich.  If I had a lot of money I wouldn’t want a big government because that would mean more of my hard earned money would go into building roads and bridges, stocking libraries, dredging canals, collecting garbage, policing airports, negotiating trade agreements, enforcing clean air standards, protecting crops from diseases and pests invading from beyond our borders, enforcing civil rights, and keeping my children from being exposed to lead paint and asbestos.  I mean, it’s not like rich folks use the roads, produce garbage, eat food, or have children.  It’s not like they used any of those things and services to get (or stay) rich.  It’s just those of us who make under a hundred thousand that check books out from the library or breathe.  So, I completely understand why people get so upset about big government.

No comments:

Post a Comment