Thursday, February 2, 2012

I like government because ... I don't have a problem with helping people out.

I like government because I'm nice, but not naive.  If I see someone who needs help, I like to help them out.  I like it when I'm in need and other people help me out.  I think that all people in need ought to be helped out.  I know that without government intervention, people don't always get the help they need.  Now, we can disagree about what constitutes help.  I'm fine with that ... as long as our disagreement is followed by discussion and ultimately cooperation and compromise.  I'm not, however, interested in disagreeing over whether people should get help of some kind.  I don't think people should be allowed to starve.  I don't think people should be allowed to sleep at night without a roof over their heads.  I don't think people should be allowed to go without work for which they are fairly compensated if they want it.  I don't think these things can be avoided without a strong and active government.  I want to help people out.  I can't do it by myself.  I can't count on others to do it by themselves.  So, I ask government to do it and I expect them to do it effectively and efficiently.  If they don't, since I still can't do it myself, I keep at them until they do.  I also defend government from folks who either aren't nice or are naive.  Because I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment