Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Christ is in Christmas ... but so are some other things too, and that is OK with me.

I’m going to be honest. There is enough Christ in Christmas for me. I don’t need any more. Now, I understand that Christmas commemorates the birth of Christ. But I also understand that it’s more than that now. It’s a bit much that Christmas decorations start showing up in stores before Halloween, but I like the idea of gussying up my house. The inflatable Santa’s riding motorcycles might be a step too far, but I like the old school plastic Santas and reindeer. I like the lights. I like the cookies. I like mistletoe and egg nog. I like the Frosty movie narrated by Jimmy Durante. I love the gifts … and I love watching my kids open them while wearing festive pajamas. I absolutely adore watching my kids pace as they wait for Santa to ride by our house on a fire truck. I know Jesus is big part of the whole thing. But that’s not all it is. Over the years the celebration of the birth of Jesus has become an excuse to step out of the routine, connect with family, share with friends and family and even strangers, and make our lives just a little bit magical. There isn’t anything wrong with that. In fact, we may need those things more than we need Jesus. Christ is still in Christmas. I’m not saying we should take him out. I just think we need to put more value on everything else that is in there with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment