Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Pledge

Here is a pledge that I think all members of Congress (and those who aspire to membership) should sign. It is the only pledge they should sign. In it they promise to do their job ... it is a pretty novel concept.




I pledge to do my job. I promise to take on the problems facing this country using the skills and experiences I presented to my constituents as evidence of my fitness to serve them when they elected me. I promise that I will never rule out the use of any tool at my disposal or at the disposal of me and my colleagues working together, be it taxes, regulation, layoffs, or war. I vow to keep an open mind … which means that I will change my mind should logic, reason, and the weight of the evidence compel me to do so. This also means that I will always be open to cooperation and compromise with anyone who is similarly serious about solving the problems facing the country. I promise to always listen to my constituents, but I will never hesitate to go against their wishes if my judgment tells me that I should. I will always explain my positions to my constituents and will endeavor to win their support by explaining issues and arguments to them using logic and reason. I will never intentionally seek to sway people to my side by playing on their fear or anger, or by launching personal attacks on my opponents. I will put value on my own personal interests and the interests of my party, but not over the interests of the country or my constituents. I give my word that this is the only pledge I will ever sign, because other pledges get in the way of doing my job … and above all else I pledge to do my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment