Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Being a little nicer ... is it worth a try?

The quality of political conversations in America, at the local and national level, would be greatly improved if everyone started following a simple rule: always say something positive when you say something negative. This is a rule that I have always followed when I teach college courses. Every time I comment on a paper, test, or other assignment I always make sure I say something positive. Usually I lead with the positive. There is always something that the student has done well, and I feel that they need to hear about that as much as they need to hear about what they have done wrong. I have been religious about doing this as a teacher, but not always when I am critical of someone’s position on a political issue. I think that is a mistake. Why shouldn’t we point out the strengths in someone’s position if we are also pointing out the weaknesses? I find it hard to believe that there is nothing that one can agree with in another’s point of view … that there is nothing positive that can be said about everyone. Even if it is just to say how determined or dedicated someone is. If we were all to follow this practice, there would be some great side benefits. First of all, we would be less likely to insult one another. It’s harder to insult someone if you are also trying to say something nice about them. Insults serve no purpose, and it would be great to see them become a rare sight. Second, evidence, logic, and reason would be more likely to emerge. Once you recognize that the other side is not just incoherent evil, then you might feel a need to make sure that your own arguments were well supported. Third, we would be more likely to cooperate and compromise. Recognizing the merit in another’s position is the first step to compromise. Fourth, problems might actually get solved more often. Lastly, at least political conversations would be more pleasant. I can’t see how a few more pleasantries can hurt. So, I’m going to give it a try. Feel free to call me on it if I falter in my resolve. Feel free to point it out when other people fall short and don’t simply don’t take the time to recognize the importance of common courtesy. I think it is as righteous a mission as any we are likely to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment