Thursday, June 23, 2011

Wondering about Rand Paul and the "people who would attack our country"

"This isn't to say we don't believe in safety procedures, but I think I feel less safe when we're doing these invasive exams on a 6-year-old. It makes me think that you're clueless, that you think she's going to attack our country, and that you're not doing your research on the people who would attack our country." This is what Senator Rand Paul said to Transportation Security Administration (TSA) administrator John Pistole during a meeting of the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee. This is what he said, so what is he saying? He is saying that we shouldn’t focus on six year olds. I get that. But what else is he saying? He is saying we should focus our security measures on “people who would attack our country.” I wonder who Rand thinks these people are. I wonder if they’re brown. I wonder if he is concerned about the treatment of all children, or just the children of people who aren’t likely to attack our country. I wonder what color he thinks Jared Loughner or Timothy James McVeigh or David Koresh or Theodore John Kaczynski were? I wonder how he knows who the “people who would attack our country” are? I wonder what an “attack on our country” is. I wonder how much energy is being put into discovering why people “attack our country.” I wonder if I do too much wondering. I wonder how much wondering Rand Paul does. I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment