Monday, November 7, 2011

Will you vote Tuesday?

The online poll question on the website of The Bucks County Courier Times is straightforward: “Will you vote Tuesday?” Equally straightforward is my opinion of someone who would take the time to seek out this pole question online in order to indicate that they won’t be voting … or to choose the third option: “Has American Idol's new season started already?” These people (twenty two percent of about forty folks as of this moment), are a problem. I’m more worried about these folks than I am about the one percent that has people occupying parks all over the country. These folks are at least somewhat connected to their communities and the news, as they read at least some of the paper. They are certainly impacted by the decisions made by those of us that are voting and the people we are choosing to represent all of us. So, why aren’t they taking the time to weigh in? Why aren’t they taking the time to shape their own lives in one of the easiest ways possible? Maybe they are all restricted to bed rest in their homes, and have only been in this condition for a few days so didn’t have time to get absentee ballots. Maybe they just aren’t being responsible citizens. Maybe we’re better off that they aren’t. I don’t know, maybe what we need is an online poll to figure it all out.

2 comments:

  1. My sister's viewing was Friday.
    Her funeral was Saturday.
    Her cremation was on Monday.
    Her Interment was Tuesday.
    After spending time with the family, I wanted to just crawl into bed and sleep for the first time in a week.
    But NOTHING would have kept me away from voting.
    So I voted, then crashed.
    It blows my mind that people find all kinds of reasons that keeps the from voting.
    So yes Sam, I voted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too do not understand why more people don't vote. I have to admit that I haven't voted in every election that I could have. But, I have come to believe that voting really should be the required minimum. My November (and the start of December) has been a blur (which is why I haven't responded to comments on this blog!) but there was no doubt I was going to drag the kids out and vote. It's actually fun to take the kids. It is a true teachable moment, and they actually love it. Plus, these days I feel guilty that I'm not doing more than just voting. Certainly if you have time to weigh in on a poll on voting, you should have enough time to vote.

    More importantly ... I am sorry to hear about your sister.

    And I also don't understand why folks don't vote. My Novembr

    ReplyDelete