Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Looking for more in God

I’m picky. I don’t want just any God. I want a God that won’t smite a man for loving another man. I’d also like a God that wouldn’t smite a woman for having an abortion. I’d like to think that my God wouldn’t punish me for making any genuinely tough decision, even if God thought I made the wrong decision. In fact, I’d be most comfortable with a God that wasn’t a world class smiter. I’m more into building than destroying. I’d like God to save his anger for killing twins, burning women, keeping folks in slavery, mutilating girls, and stoning people. I’d prefer a God that took longer than six days to create the world, maybe just because I’d like to think my world took a little longer to make. I’d like my God to have had to work a little harder than the average God. I’d also like him or her to be less omnipotent and less rule bound. It would be good to think that doing the right thing would get you a reward, even if it didn’t involve going to church or checking with the Bible. It would also be nice if tolerance were rewarded, rather than blind and disrespectful evangelical furor. I’d want my God to have the qualities you want anyone else to have. I don’t like authoritarian leaders, rule bound ministers, uncompassionate doctors, or cruel teachers. Why would I want God to have those qualities? Why wouldn’t I want God to be just like my favorite high school teacher? Why wouldn’t everyone? I just don't know. I do know, that if God is the way most people seem to believe he is ... well they can keep him. I want more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment