Monday, November 14, 2011

Making Mistakes

Newsflash … we all make mistakes. No one is perfect. Not you. Not me. Not Obama. Not Herman Cain. Not Michele Bachmann. Not Joe Paterno or Mike McQueary. It’s amazing how many people know exactly what heroic steps they would have taken had they been a lowly graduate assistant and come upon a respected coach having anal sex with a ten year old boy in a shower stall. It’s equally amazing how many people know exactly what they would have done when told this tale by a graduate student about someone you had known well and worked closely with for a very long time. Somehow, a mistake in either situation is simply unfathomable and enough to outweigh a ton of good deeds. It’s not surprising that in a place where mistakes are so unimaginable and unreasonable those who get caught making them blame every one under the sun other than themselves. If you put your foot in your mouth on the campaign trail, it’s the fault of the person who asked you the question. If someone accuses you of past indiscretions, they are to blame for bringing them up. Why would you take the blame for anything if taking the blame for anything meant you were going to be seen as not only automatically unqualified for the job you want but a horrible person with few redeeming qualities. Personally, I don’t want a perfect leader. I don’t want a perfect leader, whether in politics or sports, because I know I can’t have one. There is already more than enough in my life that I want but can’t have, like a good night’s sleep. I’m willing to settle for qualified, smart, thoughtful, and flawed folks. I think that’s better than misguided, unprepared, out of touch, and perfect. You can call me crazy. You can call me mistaken. I’m OK with that, I’ve made mistakes before.

No comments:

Post a Comment