Thursday, September 29, 2011

I Love Newt!?!

Newt Gingrich isn’t going to win the Republican nomination for President. This doesn’t bother me. What bothers me is why. He spends a lot of money and has a flawed personal life. He also has the temerity to believe in science and compromise. Oh my God, what is he thinking! Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t vote for Newt Gingrich unless the other choice was my cat, and even then I’d think about it twice. But I’d choose my cat over Michelle Bachmann in a heartbeat. I’d also not hold it against my cat that he licks his ass, as long as he was qualified to make the difficult decisions that face elected officials. I don’t care if Gingrich has had fifteen wives, I’m not marrying him. I’m also not concerned that he has money or with how he spends it. It’s not like my other alternative on the ballot is Mother Theresa (I wouldn’t vote for her if she was, but you get the point). I also am not offended that he sat on a couch with Nancy Pelosi to express his opinion regarding climate change … an opinion shared by much of the scientific community. I don’t know when compromise and cooperation became scourges to be avoided, but I’m not jumping on that bandwagon. Call me old fashioned, but I want my leaders to trust science and work together to solve problems. I’d feel a hell of a lot better if I was sure that the majority of Republicans felt the same way. I’d feel a hell of lot better if Newt Gingrich wasn’t one of the more palatable Republican candidates for President.

No comments:

Post a Comment