Thursday, September 29, 2011

Live Video

It seems like I spend a lot of time watching live video feeds, most of them from places like Syria or Haiti or the New Jersey Shore … places that seem to be way beyond my control. On Monday I added an un-expected locale to that list: the inside of my bladder. It made me think about the similarities between my bladder and Syria. My bladder is closer and more Christian, at least nominally. Sightseeing in Syria is probably more interesting. The events in my bladder are more closely connected to my life, though, and there is probably a more active night life … in fact a little too active. Neither is seemingly beyond my reach, but holding it and flying for many hours into a nascent civil war seem equally foreboding. … besides, once I got to Syria I couldn’t take control anymore than I could indefinitely keep my bladder full. Control is usually an illusion anyhow. If I’m seeking to control stuff, I’m going to be spending even more time on the couch, or in the urologist’s office, watching live video feeds. I can’t control my children, but I don’t just sit around and watch videos of them all day. So … maybe I can do more than watch events unfold in Syria and my bladder. I’ll give it some thought as I play with my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment