Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Christian President

Today, at the National Prayer Breakfast, Obama gave a speech that touched on his own beliefs. He's a Christian who prays every day, or at least that's what he says. According to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, twenty percent of my fellow Americans don't believe him. I'm sure, if they heard this speech, they thought he sounded more forced and insincere than he normally does. I'm sure they were unconvinced by bible quotes and talk of waiting on the lord every morning and night. I'm sure they think he is a Muslim. I'm sure a lot of them think it matters. I don't. I believe all that stuff about freedom of religion and separation of church and state. I would gladly elect a Muslim, if he or she was the most qualified candidate. I don't think this is a Christian nation, because then it wouldn't be a nation for all of it's citizens. I don't think it's very Christian to call America a Christian nation, spread rumors about the President being a Muslim, think that someone's religion disqualifies them from serving their country, or generally use religion as a cover for racism, generalized bigotry, naked opportunism, and hate. Maybe I'm not much of an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment