Friday, December 28, 2012

Free Friday: The Limits of Freedom

It is worth remembering that none of us is truly free.  We are all constrained, in one way or another .. or quite a few others.  For many of us money is a constraint.  Most of us have at least a few moral constraints ... for example I don't feel free to go around killing folks.  Most people are constrained by their relationships with other people.  I have two children, and as much as I love them I have to say that they can be constraining.  I also don't make very many important decisions without consulting my wife.  I don't really have co-workers, but many folks have to work with other folks ... and often feel at least a bit constrained by them.  I am constrained by my citizenship.  I have agreed to follow the laws of the land and to go along with the decisions of the majority of my fellow citizens on a number of issues including who should be our elected representatives.   I also have agreed to respect the rights of my fellow citizens.  My freedom can't infringe on their freedom.  My freedom, like their freedom, is partial.  Now, even though it is partial freedom, even though it is limited by all these constraints, it is still meaningful.  It is meaningful, and it is balanced with other considerations like safety, quality of life, equality, and fairness.  It is real.  It can be protected and used.  The bottom line is, when you see your freedom for what it is you can take full advantage of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment