Monday, March 28, 2011

Dan Quayle speaks the truth ... oh my!

Dan Quayle said: "I'm glad he's out playing golf. I happen to be a golfer. I think presidents deserve down time. And believe me, he is in constant communication with what's going on. I mean, what do you want him to do, stay in his house and be on the phone with the ambassador to Japan all the time?" I’m going to skip the Dan Quayle jokes. I am also not going to say much about Obama and golf, other than to say I agree with Quayle. I never had a problem with Bush playing golf, whether before or during or right in the middle of a war. My problems with Bush involved nearly everything else he did, and a number of things he didn’t do, before and during the war (there really was no after). Similarly, it doesn’t bother me that Obama plays golf. I don’t get golf, but I do get it that our President is human. My main concern is that a comment like this is so remarkable. It is truly sad that it is so shocking for a Republican to say something positive about a Democrat. Right now, we are in a place where it is expected for our elected leaders to either lie or keep their mouth shut if the only other option is to speak the truth and possibly cast a member of the opposite party in a positive light. That is a very sad place for us to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment