Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Rick Perry ought to be ashamed

"I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian, but you don't need to be in the pew every Sunday to know there's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school," says the Texas governor and Republican White House candidate. "As President, I'll end Obama's war on religion. And I'll fight against liberal attacks on our religious heritage. Faith made America strong. It can make her strong again."

Yeah. If that’s what Christianity is about, color me ashamed. Color me whatever you want to, but I am proud to live in a country where, finally, every citizen can openly serve in the armed forces regardless of who they fall in love with. I’m also proud that there is some respect in this country for non-Christian religious traditions and a robust and well protected separation between Church and State. I find it reprehensible that a political leader would label his political opponents as somehow opposed to Christianity. I find it offensive that Perry would treat Christian and American as if they were synonymous and somehow only labels that apply to people he shares political views with.

Here is the bottom line. All Americans aren’t Christians. All Christians aren’t Americans. All liberals are Americans. Some liberals are Christians. Some conservatives are Muslims. All people who traffic in hate and fear and lies like this should be ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment