Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I can't deal with the blathering either

A member of the Secret Service twittered the following: "Had to monitor Fox for a story. Can't. Deal. With. The. Blathering." I don't understand twitter. I don't understand why this is a "tweet" and not a "twitter." I don't understand why anyone would twitter anything related to their work ... it just seems to get folks in trouble. I'm not sure why anyone spends time following people's tweets. I don't understand where all the periods in this quote come from. There is a lot I don't understand about this, but I have no trouble at all understanding why someone would say that they can't deal with Fox's blathering. Fox News is lots of things, and very few of them have much to do with news. Fox News has a position and advocates it. Fox is conservative blathering ... there is plenty of evidence to back that claim up. I'm not sure what the problem is with speaking the truth. I think we have gotten the wrong idea about debate. We seem to think that any time there is a debate both sides have to be given equal treatment, equal air time, and equal respect ... we seem to have forgotten that sometimes when people open their mouth what comes out is wrong. We also seem to have forgotten that news was once presented in an impartial way. Impartiality now is a slant in itself, which is why NPR is under so much fire. The bottom line is that Fox News is an advocacy organization. They have positions on the issues and they advocate those positions. There shouldn’t be any problem if someone gives their opinion of an advocacy organization, even if they use the official Secret Service twitter account. Which leaves me with yet another question ... why does the Secret Service have a twitter account?

No comments:

Post a Comment