Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Letter to my Congressman

Dear Congressman Fitzpatrick,

I didn’t vote for you. Let’s get that out of the way. It doesn’t matter why. It doesn’t even matter at all. I just want to be honest, although it really doesn’t matter. We’re stuck with one another now. I’m not moving. You’re not resigning. We’re stuck.

You represent me. Even if I didn’t vote for you, you still represent me. I expect you to take my interests into account when you make your decisions. I also expect you to take reason and logic into account. There will be times when my interests run contrary to the most logical decision, and in that case I hope you disregard my interests. I expect you to make the best decision. I expect you to work to solve problems.

I hope that your party’s interests don’t come first. I hope that when the interests of your constituents or your experience or your conscience pull you in the opposite direction from your party, you have the strength and confidence to break from your party.

I really really really hope your focus is on problem solving. That is why I mention it a second time, and throw in a lot of reallys. We will find out right away if it is or isn’t. If you participate in making repealing health care the top priority for the House, even though the President’s veto and the Senate’s votes doom any effort and even though there are pressing problems you could be solving rather than trying to undo much needed, even if imperfect, health care reform, then we will know that your priority is the Republican Party rather than the American people, both generally and back here in Lower Bucks County.

I wasn’t here when you last served in the House. I have heard some good things, though. I hope they are true. I hope that you have returned in order to have another chance to solve problems. I wish you much luck. I hope that you can make me feel like I made a mistake this past November.

No comments:

Post a Comment