Sunday, November 9, 2014

Messy Logic

Today I listened to the neatest and most internally consistent sermon I have ever heard.  It stood out in stark relief to the sermons I usually listen to ... complicated and sometimes convoluted  attempts by self proclaimed liberal Christians to reconcile the Bible with reason, logic, science, and modern understanding.  It was simple, neat, and clean.  I can certainly see the attraction of such a sermon.  I love it when things neatly fit together, like the pieces of a 24 piece puzzle.  If only the world could fit into twenty four pieces without sacrificing ... well, just about everything.  If only the satisfaction I felt with such neat, clean, and simple illusions was more lasting.  If only the I didn't actually enjoy the messiness and struggle that comes with reason, logic, and a clear view of the circumstances in which we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment