Monday, July 11, 2011

I pledge ...

Many Republicans in the Senate and the House have taken pledges not to raise taxes. This is stupid. I’m all for having our elected representatives make a promise or two, but not anything as idiotic as this. Having an elected representative pledge not to compromise on an important issue is as dumb as treating every tax increase as if it is identical. If you want a pledge, I’ve got some better suggestions. What about having our representatives pledge to focus on solving problems? I’d like to see someone pledge to represent all of their constituents and not just the loudest ones. I’d really love a pledge to avoid particular logical fallacies, like slippery slopes or the ad hominem. I might settle for a promise of civility. If we’re going to put pressure on our representatives, let’s not put pressure on them to behave stupidly. I think they can manage to do that on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment